After the incredibly successful run of its first ever charity skin, ‘Pink Mercy’, Blizzard has broken down how the money raised for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is being used to advance critical research and find an end to breast cancer.
Raising over USD $12.7 million, Blizzard’s donation to BCRF was the largest donation made by a corporate partner in a single year within BCRF’s 25-year history. In the spirit of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, BCRF has shared some insights on how the funds raised are being used to support research into understanding, preventing, and treating breast cancer.
The donation of over USD $12.7 million will fuel three critical programs that examine every aspect of a breast cancer diagnosis and will change the lives of women and men across the globe.
- BCRF Precision Prevention Initiative
- BCRF will fuel innovative prevention research to reduce the incidence of breast cancer, including creating new tools and tests for improved screenings and diagnostics. These programs will advance the understanding of inherited risk and pursue population-based genetic risk assessment to help those deemed at risk before the disease takes place.
- BCRF Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium Award
- The BCRF Translational Breast Cancer Research Consortium Award, funded by the Pink Mercy donations, will help launch five new clinical trials this year.
- These clinical trials are conducted within a consortium comprised of 19 medical institutions and nearly 200 investigators aimed at accelerating new treatments for patients with breast cancer.
- 25 Annual BCRF Research Grants
- Your donations will fund 25 research grants, which will be distributed to studies in seven different research fields that focus on diagnosis and treatment.
- The Blizzard Entertainment funded research grants will be distributed to 29 researchers in eight total countries located in six different continents around the globe.
For more details about these three critical programs, check out the full blog on the Overwatch website.